query about qualifications points 175 visa

jove

I just got a positive skills assessment for 3 year 5 months work experience as a system analyst whhoooopee!

It was quite a run around I originally got assessed on 5 years plus of software testing only to see the SS close software testing from the list (criessss!! _

Since I got this first post in a bit of a muddly from all the excitement, i am making it clearer.

The new points system says on the page :

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/175/eligibility-qualification-aust.htm

Points Description of education qualifications 20 Doctorate degree 15 At least Bachelor degree (including a Bachelor degree with Honours or Masters) 10 Australian Diploma or trade qualification 10 Award or qualification recognised by the assessing authority in the assessment of the skilled occupation.

I did a degree a bachelors engineering degree but didn't do honors final year due to family commitments. So I have just an ordinary Bachelors degree.

I have a separate honors degree but is unrelated to my occupation.

Where do i stand on this 15 points business? A bit worried that I may not make the points now, especially after all the running around i have done.

I hope my ordinary bachelors degree cuts the mustard!

I thought that the ACS did the qualifications assessment with the work experience stuff.

So I guess I am ok for that criteria. But is it a case of sending the degree copies to the immigration along with the application. I don't have to send my certificate to some separate authority?

I just got a positive skills assessment for 3 year 5 months work experience as a system analyst whhoooopee!

It was quite a run around I originally got assessed on 5 years plus of software testing only to see the SS close software testing from the list (criessss!! _

Since I got this first post in a bit of a muddly from all the excitement, i am making it clearer.

The new points system says on the page :

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/175/eligibility-qualification-aust.htm

Points Description of education qualifications 20 Doctorate degree 15 At least Bachelor degree (including a Bachelor degree with Honours or Masters) 10 Australian Diploma or trade qualification 10 Award or qualification recognised by the assessing authority in the assessment of the skilled occupation.

I did a degree a bachelors engineering degree but didn't do honors final year due to family commitments. So I have just an ordinary Bachelors degree.

Where do i stand on this 15 points business? A bit worried that I may not make the points now, especially after all the running around i have done.

I thought that the ACS did the qualifications assessment with the work experience stuff.

So I guess I am ok for that criteria. But is it a case of sending the degree copies to the immigration along with the application. I don't have to send my certificate to some separate authority?

Hi,

Im kinda in a similar situation. I was doing an 4 years honours computer science degree and then after finding 2nd year though changed to a ordinary comp sci degree so i'm not too sure what points i get for my degree too! I got a positive skills assessment from ACS saying i'm in group A which is if you have a degree so i'm hoping that means i get the 15 points too, what group did they asses you against? I've repeated the IELTS to try get all 8s to get the extra points so it wouldnt matter what points i get for my degree. Maybe you could get extra points that way too?

Cara

You get the 15 points, it doesn't matter if it wasn't honours, a lot of other countries don't have honours. So you'll be fine, it does say including honours which means include that also if you have one but normal is fine.

"To claim points for a qualification obtained overseas, it will need to be recognised as being of a standard comparable to the relevant Australian level qualification."

"You may also be able to claim points for a qualification not related to your nominated occupation."

Really depends on how diverse your engineering degree is from the IT skill you were assessed under, although, even then you could claim it gives you inside knowledge into the business sector you're going to work in.

I have a masters, an MBA which is not strictly related to the business analyst role I got assessed under. So in theory if they're strict they could have rejected it, but since it provided in-depth knowledge into my sphere of work, I got my 15 points for it.

Put it in, if they question it then you lay your argument for having advanced knowledge in the business sector you intend to work in; IT is never just IT, it involves understanding the business arena of the systems you're working on.

Hope this helps

P

DIAC really should reword that information as this isn't the first time I've seen people being confused by what it says.

When they say "At least Bachelor degree (including a Bachelor degree with Honours or Masters)", they don't mean that your Bachelor degree needs to include Honours or Masters for you to get the 15 points.

All they mean is that if you have Honours or Masters, you don't get any extra for the Honours or the Masters. All you get is the basic 15 points.

Basically a Bachelors degree does the job. The point of including Honors and Masters in that sentence was to inform you that you don't get extra points for those qualifications. You have your 15 points.

Thanks folks, I had a moment of doubt yesterday. I am sure like you all say it is just saying that masters and honors get no extra points than a bachelors.

Looking forward to the IETLS test now crikey!:eek:

Archived