New to Sydney, seeking friends & advice :-)

Guest ClaudiaMatt

Guest ClaudiaMatt

Hi everyone

I'm Claudia, 27 years old and moving to Sydney next month to start a new job! Very excited to start my new life but also very scared!!

Looking to meet new friends to hang out with and to show me around. Also seeking advice on best areas to live etc. I will be working in northern beaches area. x

xxx

Guest WoodVic1

Hi I'm in my early thirties and moved to Sydney a year ago but have struggled to make friends. Have you got any advice on how I can try and start meeting people?

• 2 weeks later...

If you have any hobbies/interests joining a club or taking a class at your local community college is a way of 'breaking out.' I'm not doing anything at the moment but keep meaning to start bushwalking again, start a creative writing class again, resume my dancing class. I never thought I would do that last one either. I HATED dancing but the final straw was when a lady I liked asked me to dance and I refused. I started a class the very next day. I hesitate to claim that I can now waltz, foxtrot, rumba, two step & cha-cha-cha, but I enjoy watching other people dance and I'm no longer embarrassed to get up and 'dad's disco dance!

I continue to 'push' myself to talk to people in various social situations where I would either stay silent or not go beyond asking for something. It's not about making friends so much as becoming known and knowing other people.

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Yesterday arvo I went for a walk, got a good book on Philosophy in an op shop on Cleveland St for $2. I sat in Ward Park to read a few chapters. There was a bloke eating his lunch nearby and I said to him 'I brought my book but forgot to bring my lunch.' He just glared at me. Last night in the Strawberry Hlls Hotel the barman who served me was working in The Shakespeare on Sat night. I asked him if they paid him more in the Shakespeare. He said, 'They SHOULD pay me more.' and looked at his colleague and said, 'do you think they should pay me more? After all, people come in here expecting to see me.'

This is my second stint in Sydney and I'm definitely not as lonely as I used to be despite spending long periods on my own.

Hi, I've been in Sydney for about 6 weeks now, living in the Randwick area. I've been very lucky as my brother and sister are both currently in Sydney as is an old uni friend so I've had a few people to show me around but would love to get out and about and meet some new friends, Emma x

• 1 month later...
Guest newbie28

Hi Claudia and the rest of the forum :o), i've been here about 3 weeks luckily living with a friend and know other people, but they are all pretty settled into Sydney life and I want to get out and meet more people. I live in the Bondi area, but can easily come into the city for after work drinks or something. Looks like a few of us are in the same boat, so maybe we could arrange a meet up or something.

speak soon! x

Hi there,

A meet up sounds great, I'm in Randwick, not too far from Bondi but am happy to meet up in the city if that's most convenient for others.

Emma

Guest Adamski

Hi guys,

New to the forum and new to Sydney! Got in 2 weeks ago with a friend and have settled in around Kirribilli and now looking for buddies around the city! :D

Looking to do some travelling for a week in mid-December and also at the start of January too before starting full-time work in Sydney later in January.

If anyone’s around (or arriving shortly) and fancies meeting up for a drink, let me know!

Would be good to meet a few faces! :-)

Adam

hi guys, long time lurker on these forums,

so heading back to sydney at the end of jan from a cold northern england, cant bloody wait. Ill be up for coffee or a beer, been living in glebe for a few years and not managed to make many friends yet so count me in.

steve

Hey Steve

Give us a shout when you get here, there are quite a few of us newbies lurking around here!

It's warming up nicely, I'm, sure you'll feel it if you're coming out from a cold northern January!!

Emma

hey emma

cheers, ill give you guys a shout when i get there, best get my speedo's ready :laugh: not long left now.

steve

Guest Pamela87
Hi guys,

New to the forum and new to Sydney! Got in 2 weeks ago with a friend and have settled in around Kirribilli and now looking for buddies around the city! :D

Looking to do some travelling for a week in mid-December and also at the start of January too before starting full-time work in Sydney later in January.

If anyone’s around (or arriving shortly) and fancies meeting up for a drink, let me know!

Would be good to meet a few faces! :-)

Adam

Hi Adam,

Have a look at the Sydney social thread. There's a few of us meeting this saturday at The Lord Dudley pub in Paddington - http://www.thelorddudley.com.au/. Everyone's welcome, 'the more the merrier' as they say :-)

Archived