457... travel insurance vs health insurance

benandkelly

Guest orlaandjoe

Hey there!

We are in the middle of getting everything together for 457 visa, and we went with HBA insurance. Only signed up with them today over the phone, but they were so polite and helpful, the policy is very reasonably priced (we are a family of three), and the start date of the policy can be adjusted if you're unsure of your arrival date. You pay the first payment now, they will send you out proof of your policy to attach to your visa application, and you don't pay anything til you arrive (and you can pay monthly then). All their overseas policies are in line with the DIAC regulations for the 457 visa! Would definately recommend them!Good luck with your visa :smile:

Guest kennmikp
Hey there!

We are in the middle of getting everything together for 457 visa, and we went with HBA insurance. Only signed up with them today over the phone, but they were so polite and helpful, the policy is very reasonably priced (we are a family of three), and the start date of the policy can be adjusted if you're unsure of your arrival date. You pay the first payment now, they will send you out proof of your policy to attach to your visa application, and you don't pay anything til you arrive (and you can pay monthly then). All their overseas policies are in line with the DIAC regulations for the 457 visa! Would definately recommend them!Good luck with your visa :smile:

Good quality spot on advice there guys :wink::wink:

exactly what me and the wife did for our visa :wink:

I got my insurance from IMAN - they were recommended to myself by my migration agent. I think they have a few recommendations on here as well (pretty sure I first came across their name on one of the threads).

Hey there!

there is a reciprocal agreement for uk residents so you are covered by Medicare -I've never had private insurance. I applied for a Medicare care then sent a copy to immigration. Of course it depends on your circumstances.

Being enrolled with Medicare under reciprocal health care arrangements is sufficient to meet the health insurance requirement at visa grant and to comply with visa condition 8501.

You can only enrol with Medicare if you are in Australia. If you have enrolled with Medicare you should provide evidence that you have been issued with a Medicare card as part of your application.

If you are overseas, you must arrange adequate insurance for your initial period in Australia and provide evidence of this insurance as part of your application. You may be eligible to then enrol with Medicare once you are in Australia. Being enrolled with Medicare is sufficient to comply with visa condition 8501.

Just copied this from immi.gov.au

Has anyone got private insurance then cancelled as soon as they get medicare?

Guest rubybelle

Hi, can anyone tell me if we already have health insurance

1. Will application be processed quicker

2. Will we need a medical, this seems to be a little confusing, as to whether we do or not.

Many thanks

Rubybelle

2. Will we need a medical, this seems to be a little confusing, as to whether we do or not.

Many thanks

Rubybelle

No, applications are (supposedly) processed in the order that they are received. If you have provided all the required documents, the case officer will be able to make a decision about your application a lot quicker but unfortunately, you still have a few days to a few weeks before you get a case officer.

Medicals are not required if you come from a low risk country. DIAC has a list on their website of the countries whose citizens are required to undergo a medical test/ x-ray. However, if you will be working in a hospital or with children, you have to have the full medical test.

I did the chest x-ray and bar the time it took for the results to reach DIAC, it took less than 24 hours for them to finalise my results.

• 1 month later...

Many thanks

Rubybelle

Had my visa granted last Friday.

As my wife and child are not coming out until late next year (I'll be landing 30th DEC!!! :biggrin:) I only covered myself and put the reason as to why but this was not enough. My CO needed to see proof that we were all covered. IMAN sent through the upgrade to family cover letter no problem, after they worked through their backlog, and visa was approved within minutes of the DIAC reviewing it. I think they charge a fee of just over the monthly amount if you cancel before the first installment but after that I suggest you look at what the Medicare agreement gives you and see if that is enough for your circumstances. (Can't spell reciprocal ... oh turns out I can!) So I guess they are used to people cancelling after signing up to Medicare. Can't blame DIAC for it, bit of extra revenue from the newbies eh?

Archived