New to Sydney with two small children

Guest Keocat

Guest Keocat

Hi

We moved to Sydney last week from the UK with two children 5 1/2 and 3. We are just going through the application to get a house in Birchgrove near Balmain - are there any kids clubs, playgroups, coffee mornings I should be attending in order to meet new friends and get the kids some playmates? My husband starts work tomorrow so I am keen to start integrating into Sydney life a.s.a.p.

Sara

Hi

We moved to Sydney last week from the UK with two children 5 1/2 and 3. We are just going through the application to get a house in Birchgrove near Balmain - are there any kids clubs, playgroups, coffee mornings I should be attending in order to meet new friends and get the kids some playmates? My husband starts work tomorrow so I am keen to start integrating into Sydney life a.s.a.p.

Sara

Hi

We moved to Sydney just over a month ago, we have a 2 year old boy, so no school worries yet but looking for somewhere for him to go and mix with other kids, one place which is good is the 'water park' area at Darling Harbour but we are pretty much in the same boat as you, if you fancy a coffee let us know.... we live in the city centre at the moment.

Guest Mountaineer4061

Hi there, I'm in Mosman, just arrived three weeks ago and we have a little boy nearly 2. I work 4 days per week but would be keen to meet others on my day off or at weekends. My husband is looking after the LO during the week until we can get some childcare... Which is not proving easy! If anyone is happy to meet up with a Stay at Home Dad I'm sure he'd love to get out and about too.

Hi

Sara

You've picked a nice place to live! I didn't realize until I 'Googled' Balmain that you come under Leichhardt Council so maybe check out their website. I pasted a page from it about 'Childrens' Services.' Balmain - Rozelle - Lilyfield - Leichhardt - you will never need to go anywhere else, apart from the beach! Nielsen Park in Vaucluse where I swim is very good for families.

Children's Services

Leichhardt Council provides support to a wide range of community based children's services throughout the Municipality as well as directly providing some services.

Click on the subheadings on the left side of this page for information on the following:

Family Day Care, Long Day Care, Occasional Care, Playgroups and Preschools/Kindergartens.

For details relating to non-Council registered childcare services in the Leichhardt Municipality, download the iconpdf.gifChildcare Services List (16.47kB) or contact Council's Citizens Service Centre on 9367 9222.

The Australian Government has established the Child Care Access Hotline to help families locate and choose child care services. The Hotline can provide a range of information regarding child care services and government financial assistance. Contact the Child Care Access Hotline on 1800 670 305 or go to www.mychild.gov.au

The Australian Government's Department of Employment, Education and Workplace Relations can also provide information regarding a range of child care related issues. Go to www.deewr.gov.au/sectors/early_childhood

Early Childhood Health Centres

Early Childhood Health Centres are organised by NSW Health. There are two services in the Leichhardt local Council area:

• 530a Darling Street Rozelle Ph: 9810 1609

• Italian Forum on Norton Street, located near the Leichhardt Library Ph: 9560 5604

Schools & Out of School Hours Care

Hi there, I'm in Mosman, just arrived three weeks ago and we have a little boy nearly 2. I work 4 days per week but would be keen to meet others on my day off or at weekends. My husband is looking after the LO during the week until we can get some childcare... Which is not proving easy! If anyone is happy to meet up with a Stay at Home Dad I'm sure he'd love to get out and about too.

Hi, I am pretty much in the same boat, looking after our 2 year old boy while my wife is at work, would be more than happy to meet up.......

• 4 weeks later...
Guest saintwright

Hi - I am a Pom living in Manly - and I started a not for profit website for mums looking for things to do in their local area - definitly go to playgroups and chat to people in playgrounds - you will be suprised how many newbies there will be!

I have some playgroups listed for Balmain: http://www.babiesandtoddlers.com.au/group-activities/playgroups/?suburb=Balmain

I don't think I have playgrounds for your area - so if you find any good ones please add them - but you can find them on: http://www.leichhardt.nsw.gov.au/Parks-in-Balmain-and-Rozelle.html

S

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Rachelwhitfield

Hi

I have just moved to Balmain from Wahroonga on the North Shore and it would be great to get to know other parents living in the area.

I have two boys, one is two & half and the other is 10 weeks old.

If anyone is in the same situation then im more than happy to meet up

Rachel

Archived