Geelong

Guest Bookie40

Guest Bookie40

Hi,

We've been living in Highton for over a year. New to PIO.Anyone out there interested in meeting up??

Liz and co

Guest Rachel&Stu

Hiya guys:jiggy:

Welcome to Poms In Oz!!

Can't take you up on the offer right now, but if the offer's still good next year, count us in!!

Cheers,

Rachel :cute:

• 6 months later...
Guest preston lass

Hi looking to be in Gelong by the end of the year,can you tell me ore about the area and schools for a 5 & 8 year old.

Cheers.

• 1 year later...
Guest sunnysa

Hi - we moved here in 2005, living just behind Waurn Ponds Shops. Now that the house and garden are done, we need to get out and about more. I am from Hamilton and my hubbie is from Rotherham and we met in South Africa. Any suggestions would be greatfully received.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest sarah carter
Hi,

We've been living in Highton for over a year. New to PIO.Anyone out there interested in meeting up??

Liz and co

Hi, i am moving to that area end of May beginning of June. What are your family circumstances, kids, work etc. Would love to keep in touch and meet up.

Guest sunnysa

Hi Sarah, hope all goes well with the house and your move over here. Have you got family here, or jobs lined up yet? Just wondering why you chose Geelong - good choice by the way! My hubby is a boilermaker here (plater/welder back home) and I do administration type work here. Just the two of us, lad lives and works away from home this year, but hopefully will be back at end of the year as he is doing a traineeship with my company. Other son is married and living in England/America. It can be a bit daunting all the upheaval, but well worth it. Any questions, fire away.

Guest sarah carter

Hi, dont know why we really chose Geelong. It just kept popping up as if it was fate trying to tell us that's the place. I met a family living in Waurn Ponds in London last year. We are planning on your area or Grovedale/Highton somewhere like that. I have Sam (10) and Lilly (7) and i think they would like to go and visit Montpellier school for a look around. I think we may end up at the Big4 site until we can get a rental sorted. Do you have any other suggestions for accomodation when we get there? We will definitely want to sort a rental out asap. I'm a Nurse and hubby shopfitter by trade. Has his own business in DIY/property maintainance for last 5 years. Fitting kitchens, bathrooms etc. Neither of us have a job sorted yet. Would love to keep in touch :)

Guest sunnysa

We started off in a rental in waurn ponds, it was a good choice. There is a lot to learn about houses before you go buying or building. We thought it was money well spent. We now live just on the grovedale side of waurn ponds. Since we moved here, they have built the geelong bypass which takes us straight into melbourne in an hour - excellent. They are in the process of building a 50m pool and recreation centre opposite waurn ponds shops. I love swimming so I am fair chuffed. We keep telling everyone that the council didn't need to do so much for us when we built our home, but we appreciate having them install the ring road and pool for our personal use!!!!!! We are off on holiday this morning to Port Douglas, can't wait. I will keep in touch. Wendy and David. I will have a think on any other temp accomodation choices.

Guest Bookie40

Hi Sarah,

Good luck with the move.

There is also a caravan park Barwon Caravan & Tourist Park down the road from the Big4-opposite the park and river. I don't have any personal experience of it though.

Montpellier is a great school, I have been happy with it - there are quite a few families from the Uk there.There is also Highton Primary School which has an equally good reputation.

Highton is a good little shopping centre-supermarket,bakery,chemists real estate agents, coffee shops etc.Also a library.There are also shops, a big Kmart etc in the other direction in Belmont.

The libraries allow free internet access for an hour if you take id, found that invaluable when we first arrived( now work for the library!).

There is loads for the kids to do- the Geelong Aquatic Centre is near to Highton where they do swimming classes for all ages.Also my kids got involved in cubs/guides which are also local.If that is not their thing, there are lots of other options such as sport.

A bit off the topic but the governement has just announced a $25,000 package for each doctor's practice to employ a practice nurse-hopefully should be jobs created!

All the best

Liz

Guest sarah carter
Hi Sarah,

Good luck with the move.

There is also a caravan park Barwon Caravan & Tourist Park down the road from the Big4-opposite the park and river. I don't have any personal experience of it though.

Montpellier is a great school, I have been happy with it - there are quite a few families from the Uk there.There is also Highton Primary School which has an equally good reputation.

Highton is a good little shopping centre-supermarket,bakery,chemists real estate agents, coffee shops etc.Also a library.There are also shops, a big Kmart etc in the other direction in Belmont.

The libraries allow free internet access for an hour if you take id, found that invaluable when we first arrived( now work for the library!).

There is loads for the kids to do- the Geelong Aquatic Centre is near to Highton where they do swimming classes for all ages.Also my kids got involved in cubs/guides which are also local.If that is not their thing, there are lots of other options such as sport.

A bit off the topic but the governement has just announced a $25,000 package for each doctor's practice to employ a practice nurse-hopefully should be jobs created!

All the best

Liz

Ooh that sounds promising. I sent my resume off to Waurn Ponds surgery and another locally as they were on one of the job sites, but didn't hear a dickie bird back! Thanks for the tips and will have a look at that camp site too. X

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Maloney

Hi Sarah,

Not sure if I'm a bit late with this post - if you haven't got a job yet check out Employment for nursing jobs - they have centres all over Geelong so you might get something there.

Have you moved yet?

Guest sarah carter

Hi All, we finall arrived 1st June, staying in Belmont nr Geelong in an apt for 9 days. Just managed to sort internet and mobiles out. Desperately struggling to find a house to rent! Anybody know of anything in the surrounding areas- Highton, Belmont, Grovedale, Waurn Ponds?? I have informal visit in Corio re. Practice Nurse post on Monday and kids are visiting Montpellier school too. Would love to get together with you guys for a coffee who are local :)

Guest Maloney

Hey Sarah,

Glad move went well.

Have you checked out Real Estate website www.realestate1.com.au/geelong

Hope you guys get something soon.

I live in Newtown which is right near Belmont - a get together sounds good.

I'm happy to help if you need any info etc

Guest sarah carter

We have secured a rental today in Belmont. As it is empty, we are able to move in after we leave the apartment on Wednesday. Also, i have been offered 2 afternoons a week Practice Nursing in Corio. Not as many hours as i wanted but not bad for a days work. Oh and the kids are signed up for Montpellier today and start next tuesday! I/We are totally up for a get together. Coffee one day next week would be nice (maybe), when the kids are off our hands. Now, where do we get beds from at short notice????

Guest sunnysa

i bought all my new beds at bev marks, which is in the same area as Bunnings in Waurn Ponds, just off the princes highway, 5mins from Belmont. not sure if you are bringing beds from uk or are you looking to buy new. Always ask "is that your best price" here. if it is just a temporary measure then you can maybe pick up some airbeds from Kmart or Rays Outdoors (always come in handy for the visitors you are sure to have in the future, goes hand in hand with immigrating to Australia). Happy to catch up for a coffee or a beer depending on the time of day. We both work full time, so needs to be after work or at the weekend.

Archived