HND recognised in Aus?

Hi

I've got PR for Australia through my husband. When i get out there I'd like to work and wondered if anyone knows if my HND qualification is recognised out there? Or do you know where I can check?

Thanks in advance, I did a quick search but couldn't see anything about HNDs.

Susie.

Hi

I've got PR for Australia through my husband. When i get out there I'd like to work and wondered if anyone knows if my HND qualification is recognised out there? Or do you know where I can check?

Thanks in advance, I did a quick search but couldn't see anything about HNDs.

Susie.

An HND is roughtly equivalent to an Advanced Diploma. Check out AQF (australian qualification framework) on web.

Most employers don't know what an HND is (unless there's a pom in the selection process)?

You can get your qual assessed and validated by the state gov education dept or by NOOSR (fed gov - Canberra). Basically they issue a document certifying its australian equivalence on headed papaer which employers will know and trust. It was free some years ago when we did it... could cost a small amount today?

What about NVQ's???

Are they recognised?

Yes!, not that Australian employers would know it.

An NVQ 3 is roughly equivalent to a trade level cert. NVQ 4 - technician (para-professional) and NVQ 5 - management/supervisory.

Same goes for NVQ's as the HND above, that is, get the State Ed Dept to validate them or possibly with NVQ5 NOOSR.

By the way I'm no expert I only know in relation and relative to my own quals which are NVQ3/5 & HNC.

An HND is roughtly equivalent to an Advanced Diploma. Check out AQF (australian qualification framework) on web.

Most employers don't know what an HND is (unless there's a pom in the selection process)?

You can get your qual assessed and validated by the state gov education dept or by NOOSR (fed gov - Canberra). Basically they issue a document certifying its australian equivalence on headed papaer which employers will know and trust. It was free some years ago when we did it... could cost a small amount today?

Thanks for your help, I'm off to google all yr suggested contacts.

Susie.

Do you know how long this takes? Plus do you have the address?

Thanks Tracey

Do you know how long this takes? Plus do you have the address?

Thanks Tracey

If the State Gov Ed Dept can do it, then presumably you can still turn up to the appropriate office and they do it there and then (15-20mins as I recall?)

State and Territory Overseas Qualifications Units (OQUs) Contact Details

If you have to use use NOOSR (as I did with one of my higher quals) you may have a fairly long wait (weeks?) and it looks from the web site a fair few dollars to fork out.

In my case it took 8-10 months to sort out but then it was an unusual non-standard qual so I'm guessing weeks rather than months normally.

Qualifications Recognition

Guest Impatient

What is the HND for? If it is an Engineering-based subject then definitely yes and it might be worth going to engineers australia and checking out the comparisons...

I am positive that my HND in Electical/Electronic Engineering gave me the extra points that I needed to get my Permanent residency through the TRA. That aside, I think it may have been overlooked on my Resume and wasn't really recognised or understood by employers at my interviews over here even though I really used it as a selling point!

You can guarantee that any employment or qualification that you may have done in the UK, either technically or professionally, will be difficult to prove here in Australia as you will need to gain an Australian license which is deemed more important. This appears to be a Government money making exercise which was highlighted by several people who were selling me the courses would you believe? I even had to sit a Mensa type exam for shelf stacking in a local supermarket! Nineteen years experience in the Communications and IT industry was no guarantee of employment once here. I have had to pass exams to join the ACA at $520 a go before I can run data cable. My wife, a teacher for 10 years in the UK still hasn't been able to prove to the authorities that she has the qualifications to teach. It's a shame the UK government doesn't employ the same tactics for foreign immigrants back in the UK.

Guest Impatient

HNCs/HNDs can be used for Sydney Accord type applications for skills recognition. The UK Eng Council says...

Holders of Higher National level qualifications (HNC, HND, HC, HD) not listed on the ECUK website who wish to utilise the Sydney Accord should submit a Qualification Assessment Request Form which can be downloaded on the right. This service is free of charge to registered Incorporated Engineers, but is available to all other applicants at the cost of £50.00 plus VAT.

And presumably that would go off to Engineers Australia for recognition...

It was my experience that unless you had a full four year degree Engineers Australia couldn't care less about you (you're not their type :smile:).

• 1 year later...
Guest akjamnelson

Hi all

I have HND equine management, I suppose this wouldnt be recognised. I also have NVQ 3 in Guidance for youth work, probably unusual to OZ. What would be situation if I trained as a nurse and went over? would they recognise the licence then once I have my registration number. Any jobs advice welcome I have 3 yrs to plan

Archived