Warning - Australia's Skilled Migration Program

DeclanClune

Just thought I'd drop a line to all forum members looking at migrating to Australia to advise that Australian Immigration (DIAC) will be changing the process of applying for a skilled migration visa.

The Skilled Migrant Selection Register (SkillSelect) is a new program which will ensure the selection of the best and brightest skilled migrants from a pool of intending migrants.

SkillSelect is a major reform in the way Australia selects skilled migrants.

This will seriously impact anyone that is considering applying for permanent resdiency in Australia on a skilled migration visa.

The changes are expected to be implemented on 1 July 2012.

So how will it work ?

SkillSelect is based on an electronic two-stage process whereby intending migrants first submit an Expression of Interest (EOI) and they MAY subsequently be invited by the department to make a skilled migration visa application. Note however that THERE IS NO GUARANTEE OF THIS.

Those interested in independent, family, state or territory sponsored and business skills migration will now be required to receive an invitation first from DIAC in order to lodge a visa application.

When lodging an EOI, you must meet the points criteria, have your skills assessed and any English language test already carried out so there will be a financial outlay without any guarantee of being invited to submit a visa application.

The higher the points you score, the better the chance of being selected.

This will ensure that the best applicants in each occupation are identified and selected first.

Bear in mind that occupation quotas will also apply in some cases. Once the ceiling for a particular occupation is reached, no more invitations will be issued until the following year when the quota is renewed again.

My advise - if you are looking at applying for permanent residency, you should consider getting your application lodged as soon as possible to prevent you being affected by the July 2012 changes. If you have any concerns, make sure to get the correct advise as early as possible so you can take appropriate action in time.

Declan Clune

MARN 1001083

This topic has been well discussed, and it is in the 'Sticky thread' at the top of the page,

You ought to make the fact that you are an agent more clear as well.

JTC

Hi JTC,

I'm new to the threads I see the sticky there alright.

My MARN number is quoted under my name so I assumed that stating that would be clear enough for people but I have no issue stating that I am a registered migration agent as well.

Thanks for the tips.

Declan Clune

MARN 1001083

Guest The Pom Queen
Hi JTC,

I'm new to the threads I see the sticky there alright.

My MARN number is quoted under my name so I assumed that stating that would be clear enough for people but I have no issue stating that I am a registered migration agent as well.

Thanks for the tips.

Declan Clune

MARN 1001083

Hi Declan

Welcome on board and thank you for answering some of our members questions. As an agent we ask that you create a signature, in this you can also have a link to your company site. Here is the info on signatures if you need a hand setting one up please let us know.

• Before advertising any business or service on PomsInOz.com, contact the administrator. Any posts deemed to be advertising material without the consent of the administrator may be deleted.

• Signatures are a great way of promoting your online business and we encourage their use on the board and within profiles. However, please keep signatures to a maximum of two lines, do not include large images, large text or banners. The only exception to the two line rule is for migration agents who are permitted three lines, due to the requirement to display their Migration Agent Registration Number. One external link to a business website is allowed.

• Signatures must also be clear of font colouring and styling. Examples of which may include bold or itallic styling.

• You may NOT post your company name / company logo as your avatar.

• Service providers using this function purely to promote their own wares without adding value to the community are likely to be removed and/or edited. Please seek prior permission from the administrator prior to advertising your service (See point 1 above).

• Business Members (& their employees) are prohibited from starting threads with the sole purpose of promoting their business, product or service.

Can somebody tell me, if I have been nominated and approved for an ENS 856 visa before July, and I send my visa application after July, would I go by the old process for the visa application?

EDIT: I had a look and I don't think these changes effect the 121/856 visa. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks

Yes these changes does not affect employer nominated visas. EOI are from GSM

This topic has been well discussed, and it is in the 'Sticky thread' at the top of the page,

JTC

Hi, Jimithechew. I'm fairly new to posting & using the forum. This topic is of interest to me, where can i find it in the sticky thread?..... can't seem to see it at the top of the page. Sorry, bit of a noobie.

Cheers, much appreciated.

Can somebody tell me, if I have been nominated and approved for an ENS 856 visa before July, and I send my visa application after July, would I go by the old process for the visa application?

EDIT: I had a look and I don't think these changes effect the 121/856 visa. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks

EOI or SkillSelect as it is also know will affect ENS applications but as it will be "optional" for ENS, it should not affect your situation.

Hi, Jimithechew. I'm fairly new to posting & using the forum. This topic is of interest to me, where can i find it in the sticky thread?..... can't seem to see it at the top of the page. Sorry, bit of a noobie.

Cheers, much appreciated.

For anyone else having trouble finding it, it's not at the top of this page, it's at the top of the migration issues forum page.

Yes these changes does not affect employer nominated visas. EOI are from GSM

EOI or “SkillSelect” will affect the following visa subclasses:

• Independent Skilled Migration (subclasses 175 and 885)

• State Sponsored Skilled Migration (subclasses 176 and 886)

• Business Skills (subclasses 132, 161, 162, 163, 164, 165, 890, 891, 892, 893)

• the Employer Nomination Scheme (subclasses 121 and 856)

• the Regional Sponsored Nomination Scheme (subclasses 119 and 857)

• the Subclass 457 Temporary Business (Long Stay) visa (subclass 457).

It will be optional for 457 and ENS however.

Will it also change for the state sponsored regional 475?

Millie

Guest sylcaddies

[/list

Can you clarify what is meant by optional for 457 and ENS, please.......optional for employer? Will this affect people currently on 457 wanting apply for 856 after July?

Thanks

Sylvia

Will this affect people currently on 457 wanting apply for 856 after July?

Thanks

Sylvia

It appears not and I would think it very unlikely as the 457 and ENS/RSMS programs have been given high priority by the Government. DIAC information states “It will not be mandatory for intending migrants seeking to come to Australia under the Employer Nomination Scheme (ENS), Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (RSMS) and Temporary Business 457 visa programs to use SkillSelect because Australian employers will retain the ability to identify and sponsor workers under the existing arrangements.”

It seems that the EOI will work like the skills matching database. Employers will be able to peruse the details of EOI candidates and offer 457 or ENS/RSMS sponsorship if interested. DIAC information states ” when submitting an EOI an intending migrant can express an interest in migrating under these programs [457, ENS] which would then allow approved employers to view their details.”

Please be mindful that no Regulations in regards to EOI have been released as yet.

Archived