Family of 4 moving to Baulkham Hills/Castle Hill areas

Monkeynutzz

Hi Mark,

Great that everything is smooth so far, one of the worst things is getting a good rental as there is a shortage and a lot of investors don't keep properties up to date, but there are some good ones out there. I hear that Starr partners and proffesionals ( st Mary's offices) do a fair amount of the rental management in st Clair.

As for a BBQ and beer for sure mate let us know when your free.

Steve

Hi

Flights went really well and got over jet lag quite quickly. Managed to get a car sorted and now doing viewing after viewing trying to find a decent house - not easy! We have been up your way a few times now and really like the feel of St Clair and Minchinbury. If you hear of any decent properties coming up for rent please let us know. We'd love to come and catch up for a BBQ if the offers still open? Would be good to catch up with someone for a beer and a chat.

Cheers

Mark

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi Mark,

Great that everything is smooth so far, one of the worst things is getting a good rental as there is a shortage and a lot of investors don't keep properties up to date, but there are some good ones out there. I hear that Starr partners and proffesionals ( st Mary's offices) do a fair amount of the rental management in st Clair.

As for a BBQ and beer for sure mate let us know when your free.

Steve

Cheers Steve

Will pm you my number later and arrange a catch up. In your opinion what do you think of Mount druitt and south st Mary's as possible areas to be living? Thought it might give us more choice if they were ok areas.

Cheers

Mark

• 2 weeks later...
hi we are moving to castle hill in August, can i ask, how long on average should we budget to be in the serviced apartments, like does securing a rental take long - a couple of weeks?

thanks a mill

karl

Hi. We rented in Castle Hill (Waterside Apartments - no water in sight though) for 3 weeks and we were probably lucky that we found something in that time. I think that company (Waterside) would allow us to extend the rental period if we had needed it. When you know what furnished apartment you are staying in I would check whether they let you extend, and with how much notice. It is really impossible to stay how long it will take you to find something you like. It's possible you will find something but it won't be available for a few weeks.

Good luck

Hi Karl

We moved out here early April and have been looking further west than you but I would allow at least 3 weeks to find the right rental property. The way it is done in Oz is completely different as the agents book inspection days for the properties and that is when you can view it. If you like it you take an application form and then submit it for agents to filter out undesirable tenants before putting to landlord to make final choice. We viewed 20 properties in a week and then filtered it down to 4 that were up to the standard we expected. We applied for all and were accepted for 3, we then chose the one we wanted. Be prepared for lots of driving around, and keep in mind that the properties may be shown online 2 to 3 weeks before they are available to be viewed and then add another week on top before they are available to move in. That is why I said allow 3 to 4 weeks in your temp accommodation.

Big tip is to go online every day and go direct to agents websites rather than domain or real estate.com which are like rightmove website in the uk - they are only updated weekly by the agents so are a bit behind what is actually available. Have a pack ready before you come over with references from employers, new employers ( if you have one) with salary expectations, landlord references if you have them, copies of passports, birth certificates. We put together a welcome letter introducing ourselves as a family and a bit about us as we were not conventional Australian applicants - that seemed to be liked by the landlords.

Try and talk to the agents who are at the properties and get to know them. I think they have a big say when recommending you to landlords and also will tell you about new properties coming up.

Big thing is, do not panic and wait for something that is acceptable to you. It will come along, it just can take time. If not acceptable tell the agent what you are looking for and be open to surrounding suburbs as they may give you what you want for a further 10 mins in car.

Good luck

Mark

Some great advice from Mark, really is valuable to spend time with the agents so they know what you want and they will give you a good wrap to the landlord, and the domain sites etc is good as a tool to see the approx rental cost but mostly the properties are on so late they are gone.

So where did you end up Mark? youl be in wait of the shipping now then? not fun watching the tracking screen of where all your belongings are in the world and having an empty house.

Steve

Some great advice from Mark, really is valuable to spend time with the agents so they know what you want and they will give you a good wrap to the landlord, and the domain sites etc is good as a tool to see the approx rental cost but mostly the properties are on so late they are gone.

So where did you end up Mark? youl be in wait of the shipping now then? not fun watching the tracking screen of where all your belongings are in the world and having an empty house.

Steve

Hi Steve

Sorry haven't given you a call yet. Been a bit crazy with the house hunting and new job starting ths week. We found a place in Claremont Meadows which is perfect for our first place, we move in Friday. Feel much more settled now knowing that we'll have our own place shortly. I'll give you a call next week to arrange this catch up, will probably be over a weekend if that's ok?

Speak soon

Mark

Hi Steve

Sorry haven't given you a call yet. Been a bit crazy with the house hunting and new job starting ths week. We found a place in Claremont Meadows which is perfect for our first place, we move in Friday. Feel much more settled now knowing that we'll have our own place shortly. I'll give you a call next week to arrange this catch up, will probably be over a weekend if that's ok?

Speak soon

Mark

Thats all good mate, we can remember how crazy it is the first couple of months, just drop us a line when you up to it.

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all

can i ask a stupid question, i think we are missing something here. Why are people spending so long in temporary accommodation? I saw one poster saying that they will be there for 10 weeks as they are waiting for the stuff to arrive. Is it not cheaper and better to have the goods shipping in loads of time and have them sent to a storage facility close to where you are going to rent. In Castle Hill storage the unit rental for a 400 cubic feet sortage is like $250 per month. Then when you arrive you just stay in the more expensive temporary accommodation a couple of weeks until you secure a rental...Maybe i have this all wrong...would love some advise as we ship our stuff in a couple of weeks

thanks

karl

HI Mark

thanks so much for that. Sorry I am only seeing your response now, it is really useful information.

hope you are getting on well there, will keep in touch

regards

karl

Hi Karl

We moved out here early April and have been looking further west than you but I would allow at least 3 weeks to find the right rental property. The way it is done in Oz is completely different as the agents book inspection days for the properties and that is when you can view it. If you like it you take an application form and then submit it for agents to filter out undesirable tenants before putting to landlord to make final choice. We viewed 20 properties in a week and then filtered it down to 4 that were up to the standard we expected. We applied for all and were accepted for 3, we then chose the one we wanted. Be prepared for lots of driving around, and keep in mind that the properties may be shown online 2 to 3 weeks before they are available to be viewed and then add another week on top before they are available to move in. That is why I said allow 3 to 4 weeks in your temp accommodation.

Big tip is to go online every day and go direct to agents websites rather than domain or real estate.com which are like rightmove website in the uk - they are only updated weekly by the agents so are a bit behind what is actually available. Have a pack ready before you come over with references from employers, new employers ( if you have one) with salary expectations, landlord references if you have them, copies of passports, birth certificates. We put together a welcome letter introducing ourselves as a family and a bit about us as we were not conventional Australian applicants - that seemed to be liked by the landlords.

Try and talk to the agents who are at the properties and get to know them. I think they have a big say when recommending you to landlords and also will tell you about new properties coming up.

Big thing is, do not panic and wait for something that is acceptable to you. It will come along, it just can take time. If not acceptable tell the agent what you are looking for and be open to surrounding suburbs as they may give you what you want for a further 10 mins in car.

Good luck

Mark

Archived