The work vs relocation dilemma

3FatCats

I have now been out of work since the 31st July when I jacked in my lovely, well-paid, interesting job in the UK so we could come to Sydney. :cry: My husband is settled into his new job here and is getting on OK despite a few teething issues. He loves Sydney and his new Ozzie life. Cats also seem happy so I am out numbered :mad::no: Why do this you will say. Well, my OH was losing his job in UK with no further prospects... so we decided to accept the Sydney opportunity.

It has dawned on me that I have never been unemployed for this long at any other time in my life. Since age 14 I had an after school and Saturday job, worked my way through Uni and always left one job because I had another, better offer. When we relocated from Europe back to the UK in 2009 in took me precisely 3 weeks to find a job.

Since being here I have followed all suggestions: been scanning job advertisements, have sent off Australian resume and suitable detailed covering letter to the ones that seemed suitable, followed up with phone calls and have had meetings with recruitment agents and networked. I seem to be quite unlucky, some meetings cancelled at last minute, came second for a couple of interviews, was offered less than an apprentice wage that wouldn't even cover travelling costs for another (which I refused) and some jobs I apply for have been removed from Seek or I get the reply back that is only for PR or citizens so I have been excluded. And yes, I have always explained very carefully over the phone that on a 457 I am able to work blah blah blah...

Although the finding work issue does get discussed on here for specific professions, I was interested in hearing from other trailing spouses, to find out how long it actually took all of you to find work - that is if you don't have a specific job such as engineer, health & safety, doctor, IT etc. I have worked all my life in marketing and business development and it seems to be hard to get a foot in the door.

I am also beginning to wonder if I will actually ever find work in Australia, and feel quite frightened at the thought of the non-work gap on my CV getting longer and longer. Surely it can't look great to see a period of unemployment of many months on there? Are there any recruiters here who would give an opinion?

This morning I was actually toying with the thought of giving up the whole job search for good, as it is just getting me down. We can survive on my OHs wage and despite being absolutely bored out of my skull the days are passing by somehow. It does pain me dreadfully to think of such a waste... but the fight seems to be getting me nowhere. Has anyone else decided not to work any longer since relocating, and how has this affected you? Did you go back to the working world at some point in the future?

Look forward to reading your replies!!! :biggrin:

Just a thought, but if you're doing fine on your husband's wage, and having difficulty finding paid work, have you thought about looking into voluntary work? I'm sure there's lots to be found in and around Sydney.

This would keep you occupied, and would mean you won't have a huge gap on your CV when you next move/get a PR visa and look for work again. It would show you've made the most of the situation, and still been a productive member of society.

Even better if you can find volunteering work that uses your skills. What is your area of expertise?

How long till you can put in for your PR Visa ??

Maybe you'll just have to do a bit of any old job for a while, or do something voluntary to keep your hand in until the Ozzie job market realises what they are missing out on.

Good luck with it :-)

How long till you can put in for your PR Visa ??

Maybe you'll just have to do a bit of any old job for a while, or do something voluntary to keep your hand in until the Ozzie job market realises what they are missing out on.

Good luck with it :-)

We are trying to get our PR in now, instead of waiting the usual 2 years. This involves my OH going through Vetassess, but we have started the ball rolling.

Voluntary work is commendable, and yes I have done some here already. Tbh - and it does depend on where you do it and who you find so please no slating as I am not generalising! - voluntary work is not always wonderful and volunteers can sometimes be used as free labour while staff sit around doing nothing ( my experience up to now). Not very good for spirit-lifting when you already feel like poo.

Maybe there are some charities that could do with some help with their business models/how they market themselves? If you're offering your services for free, some of the smaller charities would probably jump at the chance (other's won't because they know best, but you'd think there'd be some charities that are aware of their own limitations). I'm thinking more of the charities that are entirely run by volunteers, with maybe only one or two paid admin staff, rather than the large organisations like RSCPA etc

I have known a couple of people whose partners are set up with a 457 but they have struggled to find anything, even though able to work.

I found my first Aussie job quite tough to come by, took a lot of applications. The lack of Oz experience and, in particular, an Oz reference does you no favours. I've found references over here are quite factual and practical, they want to actually know whether you're good at your job or not, not like the woolly HR-centric references that exist in the UK. So, if you can't provide one, they quite often look for someone who can.

Have you got a portfolio of work or projects that you've been involved in in the past? I found this helped at interviews.

Keep plugging away, you'll get there. I've moved jobs since my first one and, once you have the Oz background and reference, there are good opportunities about.

Have you considered doing temp work? Even if it is basic office work - yes I know well below what you are capable of but at least would get you out of the house and stop you from going stir crazy and may just give you an in to some other roles more in your line of work.

Unfortunately there is a huge phobia about non PR visas with employers prefering to err on the side of caution and restrict employment to those with PR whom they know can work without any restrictions.

Have you tried checking out local government (city councils) - they seem to be a big employers in Oz - see if they need any marketing assistance, also temporary roles with State Governments where projects are coming on board and they need someone to hold the fort whilst they figure out which way is up (at least you will have had some current Oz experience then). Check out also universities. They would all be big employers and so the possibility of a more stable role.

I came over on a 495 (now 475) visa and resorted to temporary work to keep the wolf from the door - finally after 3 years (and getting PR) landed a permanent job.

Am not sure what types of organisations you did marketing for before but seems like the agencies subdivide their work into areas so you would have marketing but under a local government consultant or marketing under an accounting consultant just because that is their organisation and they brought in the work - some overlap some dont. Agencies I have found good are McArthur (got work with them in Adelaide and Melbourne), westaff and Randstad. Sometimes though it is the luck of the draw. Things are beginning to pick up again so keep hammering away till someone gives you a job. You could always find the equivalent organisation to the one where you worked in the UK and approach them directly to see if they need anyone with your set of skills.

Thanks Zoot, this is what I proposed to the last recruiter I met yesterday. If I can get some contract work that would probably help in terms of getting my skills recognised and showing experience in the Oz market.

Unfortunately the organisation I worked for in the UK does not have offices outside EMEA so that is not a possibility.

Have you considered doing temp work? Even if it is basic office work - yes I know well below what you are capable of but at least would get you out of the house and stop you from going stir crazy and may just give you an in to some other roles more in your line of work.

I am SO with you on this! I remember you talking about this issue over on the 457-OHs-trouble-getting-work thread! I've been looking for work since mid-November after we found our rental, so not that long but I'd have expected at least a few weeks basic admin temping by now but it seems you need to be hyper-enthusiastic about data entry and minute-taking even for the shortest gig.

I loved my last job, best one I've had working with a great team, and I got recognition in the field, presenting at conferences and hobnobbing with people high up in medical research. But the 37.5 hours a week working wasn't enough to justify holding us back from moving - hubby was miserable in his job and we both wanted a change of scenery. Incidentally I'm on career break and have the option of going back to the job after 4 years but have no idea if we can face going back to Scotland yet!

I wouldn't worry too much about a few months gap, that can easily be explained as a break from work due to moving here with your husband, and you now realise you miss working. Or something.

Agencies will only put you forward for one job at a time - and don't tell them anything about other prospects 'cos they won't do anything for you if say you have an interview coming up, until you get back to them and say it didn't work out. Agencies won't let you keep your options open if they can help it! I found out the hard way.

My interview on Monday was encouraging - it was with HR and a professor who was really interested in some of my work (I took a couple of med journal abstracts I was named on). But I was rubbish at answering the usual HR type questions. However I think I more than proved my ability to do the work - but fear the job may better suit a recent graduate, and I'm literally on the cusp of turning 40.

I'm almost tempted to give up too, and live on one salary, but really could do with extra cash to chuck at the UK mortgage - still no rent come in and just found we've another house repair to shell out for gahhh! I just find it so hard to enjoy the time off, as I would if it were annual leave. I go out for days on my own while hubby works, have been to various places around Brisbane like the botanical gardens, south bank etc but constantly check emails and seek!

Could you set up on your own?

When we lived in the UK I was an optometrist, I worked full time until I had our eldest daughter, and then did bits of locum work until I had our second daughter. We moved over to Sydney when our youngest was just turned one, and by that point I had been out of the optometry business for three years (from when our eldest was born, apart from the odd bit of locum work). In order to work as an optometrist in Australia, I would have had to resit my professional exams. We talked about it and decided that as I didn't enjoy the job (very stressful) and because I had not been working (and therefore out of practice) for so long, I wouldn't bother sitting them. So I stayed at home with the children.

That was fine until last year when our eldest went to school and our youngest was at pre-school two days per week. I decided that I needed a job (primarily because I was bored to tears!), but wanted something to fit around the children. So I started my own business. I own a little online bridal boutique which sells imported bridal jewellery, accessories and shoes etc, and also I hand make jewellery, fascinators, veils, garters and so on. It doesn't pay me a wage because I invest everything I earn back in to it, but it has kept me busy and hopefully I can make the business bigger and better once our youngest starts school next year.

Could you do anything like that? I don't mean set up a shop or anything particularly, but with the marketing/business skills you have set up on your own offering packages of advice to small businesses and so on. Maybe business start-up advice, business plans, marketing plans and so on and then ongoing support.

I think that working is almost a necessity for mental health and happiness so I wouldn't give up, no matter how dispiriting it is. I had 5 months unemployment in the UK in 2010 and I got to a point where I had to consciously fight against becoming depressed everyday. I created this little structure of 5 things I had to do everyday or I knew I'd go under. We couldn't afford to live on one income so we came back - being broke made the decision quite clear-cut! To be honest, even if we'd financially been able to, I don't think I could have chosen to stay at home. I need the structure, sense of purpose and validation. I'm guessing from some of your posts that work has given you similar things.

I'm sorry that I don't have any great advice for you. I hope it turns around for you soon as I think you deserve a break.

My impression of the labour market in Australia (and that may be a false picture based on seeing only a small part of it) is that careers go down as well as up - in the UK they just go up or stay the same. That means it wouldn't look dreadful to have a period of lower paid employment for the time being. In the future you can call back on your earlier experience to go back up the ladder if you want. Many, perhaps most, older people I know have had at least one major career change and started over again. It just doesn't seem to faze people here. So go out and get whatever work you can rather than waiting for the "right career move" to come along.

I think that working is almost a necessity for mental health and happiness so I wouldn't give up, no matter how dispiriting it is. I had 5 months unemployment in the UK in 2010 and I got to a point where I had to consciously fight against becoming depressed everyday. I created this little structure of 5 things I had to do everyday or I knew I'd go under. We couldn't afford to live on one income so we came back - being broke made the decision quite clear-cut! To be honest, even if we'd financially been able to, I don't think I could have chosen to stay at home. I need the structure, sense of purpose and validation. I'm guessing from some of your posts that work has given you similar things.

I'm sorry that I don't have any great advice for you. I hope it turns around for you soon as I think you deserve a break.

I agree. For me, I need to be busy and I have found staying at home with the girls tough. When Sophie started school last year, I went from having an almost five year old who I could have a conversation with plus her little sister, to just having a three year old at home, and found I didn't have enough to keep me busy. I felt useless and unfulfilled and that started to turn in to a depressive state (I have suffered with depression in the past) and I just knew that I had to do something. The bridal thing was an idea that I had years ago but never did anything about, so I just figured why not give it a go. As soon as I had something to focus on I felt the depression start to lift.

Hi

not many words of wisdom here re the job front as I decided to just look after the kids whilst they are small. My husband would have me back to work in a jiffy if he could, he has visions of me popping out to work and him staying at home retired, as he calls it! Can't see him pushing for that offer though until the kids are at school.

Anyway what I was going to say was, have you sent your cv or registered your email with Coles? I know jobs related to your line of work would probably be based in Melbourne but you never know something may crop up in Sydney. They have no problem with people on 457visa's applying as they bring people over from the uk on them all the time! Just a thought.

The career change thing is an interesting one. My wife was a Project Manager in Local Authority Business Start-up programs and Area Regeneration projects, dispersion of Euro grants and the like, but there didn't seem to be an equivalent here.

She eventually took something as a stop-gap which was an Events Coordinator for a carers agency, basically putting together a program of social activities and events for people who work as carers. Less money than she was used to, by a long shot.

She's still doing it 3.5 years later and has loved every minute. She's got to know all Metro areas, has loads of great contacts for all sorts of things, has made loads of great friends, is treated like Father (Mother) Christmas wherever she goes. She wouldn't swap for a gold clock I suspect.

Yet, she grumbled at first!

Archived