Singletons ?

Guest hels269

Guest hels269

HI

without wanting to sound like a dating agency - which i dont want to do - i was just wondering if anyone is going through this migration thing alone like me. I have no OH, no kids, nothing. Just me, myself and I heading to Oz. Im close to my UK family and have lots of UK mates so Im not trying to run away from anything but have visited Oz several times, once in Brisbane for 18 months and decided that QLD is where i want to be.

Anyone else a billy no mates ??

Helen

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Moonster

Hi Helen

Yep I'm with you on this one. Moving to Sydney next Wednesday (21st Nov). More of an amatuer than you though as I have never visited Oz before. Got a job offer and being as have no kids, wife etc... to uproot i thought what the hell and booked my flight! Getting a little apprehensive now as its getting so close but also mega excited. Only downside is away from family for the first Xmas ever.

Good luck in QLD, hope it all works out for you!

Chris

Guest Austrainee

I am doing the migration thing alone too and it is good to know that I am not the only one. I visited twice and love it out here. On a one-year holiday visa (non-working) whilst my permanent residence visa is being processed to see if I love Australia enough to make the move on my own.

I hope that you are meeting lots of people. Shame we aren't on the same coast!

Respect to you for following your dream

Kaz

Guest hels269

thanks for replying guys, glad to see im not the only one.

Chris - good luck with the big move on 21st, Im pretty sure you will love it, i dont know anyone who disliked sydney ! You will have a ball. Yes xmas will be hard, I had a christmas there once without friends or family and although I had a good day, it wasnt really christmas day. The aussies are a nice bunch though, no-one will let you have christmas on your own.

Kaz - good luck with the permenent residency.Thats a good way of doing it, I should have done it like that, then I wouldnt be just waiting for the visa to come through so I can go literally the next day.

its going to be hard leaving family etc but I just know Im doing the right thing in the end.

Helen

Guest caroline

Hi guys,

I think you're all incredibly brave doing it alone! My husband and I moved to Sydney in march and found it hard enough only knowing each other. I'm informed that in some way it can be easier doing it alone - you get more invitations out as people know that you're probably having a tough time, more so than if you are a couple because people perceive that you already have someone (even if things are getting a little tetchy because you've spent so long together and need someone new to talk to!).

This will also our first Christmas here away from family and I think its always going to be tough, whether you come out alone or with someone else. I'm not looking forward to it....

Good luck guys! Australia is definitely a great place to live

Caroline

Guest Jason21

Hi Helen,

Ive just booked my flight, visa accepted, leaving for Perth on 25th Nov, going on my own but looking forward to it! Im glad so many other people are doing it to!

Good Luck

Jason

Guest Austrainee

BBQ in Kings Park on 2nd Dec. I am going on my own at the mo as I dont know any Poms that are up for it so come along if you are awake (will be an early start for me)

Kaz

HI

without wanting to sound like a dating agency - which i dont want to do - i was just wondering if anyone is going through this migration thing alone like me. I have no OH, no kids, nothing. Just me, myself and I heading to Oz. Im close to my UK family and have lots of UK mates so Im not trying to run away from anything but have visited Oz several times, once in Brisbane for 18 months and decided that QLD is where i want to be.

Anyone else a billy no mates ??

Helen

Hi

I'm here in Perth on my own, been here 3 months and enjoying it although work is constantly busy.

Anyone in Perth, fancy meeting up, let me know

Cheers

Rob

Guest hels269

ahh man you are all in perth !! how unfair is that ?? :smile:

and you are all going pretty soon, doubly unfair !!

I think we are all brave too. <pat on the head to us> I think it could be quite handy going on your own, you're kind of forced to meet people, its either that or be on your own and no-one wants that.

dont suppose anyone knows anyone heading to townsville ?? Even a youngish couple, Im not fussy ! Im 29.

Helen

Guest davercox

Hi guys,

I'm heading out to Melbourne (on my own) on Jan 9th. Been there once before, just for a few days, and loved it. Sydney too - awesome place!

Anyway, if anyone fancies meeting up or sharing a few thoughts then drop me a line.

Cheers,

Dave.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey - Well i am chuffed to bits to have found this post. EVERY other post is talking about their 'OH' and kids. which i have no objection to - it's just that i don't have one of the former or any of the latter at the moment!

i'm moving to Brisbane in Feb time (visa dependant). I've got a job lined up so that isn't an issue - but it would be great to chat with people and find out where they are going, reasons for it, etc.

so best of luck to everyone and hope to hear from you soon...

Adam

Hey - Well i am chuffed to bits to have found this post. EVERY other post is talking about their 'OH' and kids. which i have no objection to - it's just that i don't have one of the former or any of the latter at the moment!

i'm moving to Brisbane in Feb time (visa dependant). I've got a job lined up so that isn't an issue - but it would be great to chat with people and find out where they are going, reasons for it, etc.

so best of luck to everyone and hope to hear from you soon...

Adam

hi Adam,

We are arranging a Gold Coast Meet for Feb time so keep checking posts. Although mostly it is families the lads are always on the lookout for more people to have a beer and watch the footy with, if that your thing.

Em x

ps thats an open invite to anyone in the area by the way.

Em, that sounds great. if i can make it i will - i have only just found this place and plan on using it to find out what is going on, etc. i will keep people posted with how the app' goes ahead.

see you later in the summer. and let me know if there is anything i should shove in my ISO container - company move and all!

Adam

• 2 weeks later...
Guest angela wk

Hi Helen

I am not a billy no mates as you put it but I know how it feel. If you are coming to the logan area I would be happy to introduce you to a group of poms who are quite happy to have a chat and a drink most times.

Hi Helen,

It's nice to know that that I'm not alone, being alone!

I'm in South Sunshine Coast area. I'm here on my own and I've been here five weeks. Had my birthday on Friday and, of course, Christmas is looming. It's also quite hard hearing from friends and family at home talking about what they will be doing for the hols as last year I was involved in all of that stuff! I'm going to take a deep breath and go to the neighbourhood get together next weekend.

Rebecca

Guest hels269

Yay I am so glad that not everyone has an OH or kids or something. Unfortunately you are all in area where I wont be. Perth or gold coast area or sunny coast. All amazing areas though. I would love to live around the sunny coast or brisbane way but alas my visa means I have to go live with my aunty for 12 months and she lives in townsville. Anyone fancy a trip to the great barrier reef then Im you gal !!

Helen

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Gollywobbler
Hi Dave

I made the move over here to melb on my own in april so get in touch when you arive and we'll organise a night out.

ali

Hi Ali

It is lovely to hear from you again.

How are you and what are you doing work-wise?

You are the one and only lady aerospace engineer I've ever met, so I am mightily in awe of you.....:notworthy:

Is your brother's motorbike in Oz yet? And how is your Mum? Do you still have thoughts of her migrating to Oz?

Hugz & Happy New Year

Gill

xx

Guest leighljackson

Hi Adam,

I am moving, on my own, to the Gold Coast 26 Jan 08 (and the time is flying by like a jet plane). I have never been to Australia before but have done a lot of travelling around the world. I am going to be studying Automotive Engineering (posh way of saying vehicle mechanic I think) at the Gold Coast TAFE, so thought I would use this 2 year course as my 'fact-finding' time and see where it goes from there. I am just waiting for details of my 'homestay' accommodation and everything is good. I am really looking forward to it but am also starting to get a bit apprehensive, especially now that Christmas is out of the way :) Anyway, have waffled enough. Good luck with your move. Leigh.

Hi Adam,

I am moving, on my own, to the Gold Coast 26 Jan 08 (and the time is flying by like a jet plane). I have never been to Australia before but have done a lot of travelling around the world. I am going to be studying Automotive Engineering (posh way of saying vehicle mechanic I think) at the Gold Coast TAFE, so thought I would use this 2 year course as my 'fact-finding' time and see where it goes from there. I am just waiting for details of my 'homestay' accommodation and everything is good. I am really looking forward to it but am also starting to get a bit apprehensive, especially now that Christmas is out of the way :) Anyway, have waffled enough. Good luck with your move. Leigh.

Hey Leigh,

i'm still waiting on my visa with the labour agreement to go through. once it's agreed ot should all happen fairly quickly i hope - hopefully see you in bris or on the GC for a couple of stubbies...

paul - i'm hoping i'll be there a bit before october - so the stubbies will be later!

Adam

Guest leighljackson

Definately Adam, a couple of stubbies sounds just the thing. I'll keep an eye on this thread. Hopefully you'll have your visa stuff sorted very soon. Must admit, a student visa didn't seem as troublesome as some of the posts on this website. Anyone else in the GC or Brisbane area fancy a couple Feb time? :err:.

Paul...see you in October.

Leigh

• 3 weeks later...
Guest scottwoz

Hi,

I'm in the same boat. Not so much a billy no mates but a solo traveller and loving every minute of it. Currently in Melbourne. How did you guys get on over Christmas? How are things now?

Good to see the support flying round..

Definately Adam, a couple of stubbies sounds just the thing. I'll keep an eye on this thread. Hopefully you'll have your visa stuff sorted very soon. Must admit, a student visa didn't seem as troublesome as some of the posts on this website. Anyone else in the GC or Brisbane area fancy a couple Feb time? :err:.

Paul...see you in October.

Leigh

Count me in for that too, provided i'm not working:unsure:

Archived