In need of a friend or two ... (Eastern suburbs, Sydney)

Guest YorkshireLaura

Guest YorkshireLaura

Hi everyone, I moved to the Eastern Suburbs (Randwick) from Yorkshire in January to work.. I was expecting work to be more sociable than it is, and am now in the need of friends! I'm 25 and enjoy going out to bars, clubs, the cinema, the beach .. anything really! Would love some weekend trips away to see some of Australia, and am happy to attempt any sports/activities. If there are any like-minded people in a similar situation, please get in touch!

Hey Laura,

I'm in exactly the same situation! Living in Chippendale and looking to meet new people. I'm from Manchester but been in Sydney since September. How are you finding it? Where abouts in Yorkshire you from? Hope to speak to you soon. Lex

Join some clubs, enrol in some classes at the local community college, check out 'meet ups Sydney' - Google it for the address, join a bush walking club if you want to get out in the bush, start going to the beach at the same time every day - the pool at Bronte for example - you'll soon become a known 'face.' Start going to the same cafe/pub and get to know the staff. If you follow an EPL club, find out where the fans meet, and start going to all the games. Even if you don't like it, pick a club - in my case Spurs - we meet at the Triple Aces bar. I know it's mostly a guy thing, but some girls do actually like football! I started going for breakfast at Cafe Foveaux after the morning games and already the people in there recognize me. There's a couple of pubs in Surry Hills - Royal Exhibition and Trinity Bar where I know the names of the bar staff and they know me and whenever someone new starts there I always ask their names and introduce myself.

I was in Cafe Scilliana in Crown St with a friend and she said to me 'you can talk to anyone Dave' after she saw me talking to the Italian waiters (about footie of course!) but I am naturally shy and now 'push' myself to talk to strangers. It's the same with the people who run the shops by my unit - I know them and they know me. These are all things that I've done on this, my second stint in OZ, and I notice how I'm no longer as lonely as I used to be.

Guest YorkshireLaura

Thanks for the info, I'll have a look at the NSW forum. I am working on joining clubs etc, just thought Id also give this a go! Thanks for your message Lex, Im from Barnsley but lived in Newcastle for the past 7 years and loved it there. Im not too sure about here yet, I think its has the potential to be great, loads of fun and lots to do. If you wanna meet up for a few drinks or something would be great, would be good if we could get a few of us!

in the same situation... I was hoping work would be more social too :/ I moved over to sydney from london last august, loving it but really missing my friends!!

I'm trying to find groups to join but it's really difficult! I'm living in Hammondville atm-not the most happening part of town either! lets get a few people together and hit the city!

Tara :)

Hey Laura,

I'm a 32 year old who moved over from London last weekend and will be living in Randwick permanently as of tomorrrow!

Would be nice to hook up for a drink or two if you fancy it some time? Drop me message on here and I'll send you my number.

Hope to hear from you soon :)

Kelly

hi mate im moving over in a couple of weeks to the manly area and would be cool to meet for a couple of drinks maybe in the city or somthing

Cheers Ben

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Laura katie

hi , ive just joined this site , im 25 from the uk, live in the city. know what u mean works a good place to meet people but theres only me and my boss in our office! i live with 3 guys from nz who are awsome but be nice to have some girls to hang out with since all mine have left! i like going to bars, shopping sunbathing, long lunches and keeping fit let me know if youd wanu meet up ? thanks

Guest Rich1428

Hi Laura (and everyone else who's replied on here),

I'm 29 and just moved here 3 weeks ago so don't really know anyone myself. I love it here but I dont know many people which can get a bit lonely at times. I live in paddington so if you'd like to get together for a drink just drop me a message on here and we can meet up :)

Richard x

Archived