Gay in Melbourne?

hello everyone,

Im kind of new to the site and I was wondering if there were any gay/lesbian meet ups?

Ive been in Melbourne almost a year and I have recently come out.... and well, am pretty interested in meeting people for hanging out and hopefully expanding my circle of friends.

Cheers all xx

Guest AKA63029

Hi Orly.

Firstly welcome,:yes:

We have several gay/lesbian people on here, and I am sure you will find someone contacting you soon.

Not to sure where they are all based, but I would imagine a few in your area matey.

Good luck Orly.

Cheers Tony.

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi there, we do have a few lesbian couples so hopefully they will get in touch soon, also have a peak here:

ArciLesbica Australia

ArciLesbica Australia is a social support group for Italian Australian women who identify as lesbian, bisexual, gay, trans*, intersex or queer.

Ace Girls Lesbian Tennis Club

Ace Girls was formed after Melbourne women achieved a record medal tally in tennis at the Sydney Gay Games in 2002. Melbourne’s lesbian tennis training team will help you get fit, improve your tennis, meet people and have fun.

Dykes on Bikes Victoria

Victoria's lesbian motorcycle group organise regular rides, monthly meetings and social events for bike riders within the Victorian lesbian community. The group maintains a presence at all major lesbian and gay events around Melbourne and Victoria including Pride March, Midsumma Carnival and the Chillout Festival in Daylesford.

Geelong Lesbian Group (GLG)

The Geelong Lesbian Group is a non-political, social and support group for lesbians in the Geelong area. GLG provides a friendly, non-threatening environment where women can make friends and share experiences with other lesbians. The group provides a range of social activities. Events include a winery tour, car rally, BBQs, bushwalks, dances, video nights, pool competitions, golf days, etc. Every year we organise a women’s only dance event, which has women coming from all over Victoria to attend. Monthly meetings are a big social event as well. They are held on the third Saturday of every month, usually at local restaurants and cafes. These relaxed and informal meetings are usually followed by dinner and drinks.

Lesbian Open House

Open House is a Lesbian social / discussion group that has been going for over 20 years. It is a discussion group run by a facilitator in an informal and non-threatening environment in which people may, but never have to, put forward an opinion on a wide ranging group of issues.

Les Rock

Formed in September, 2007, Les Rock is a social indoor/outdoor rockclimbing group for lesbians, open to all, in and around Melbourne.

'Out' and about with the grrlz

Out and about with the grrlz is a new social group put together by a few friends who live in the Eastern suburbs of Melbourne. The group has come together because of the lack of Lesbian women social groups in these outer suburbs. Our aim is to just have fun, meet new people and hopefully forge new and healthy friendships with other Lesbian women in the area. We hope to get women together and out and about and having fun within our community, doing casual things like getting together to play pool, see bands, go bowling, go to the movies or simply just getting together for lunch or a chat over a coffee. Having said this, we are always interested in new things to do and new ideas. This is not a dating site, just another avenue where us women can feel comfortable about getting together with other likeminded women, making friends and getting out there and really living life. We can be contacted through our facebook page or you can email us direct at outandaboutwiththegrrlz@hotmail.com.

Rainbow Families

The Rainbow Families Council is a volunteer community organisation that aims to ensure equality for rainbow families (parents, partners and prospective parents who identify as being lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender or intersex, and their children). The also offer a variety of social and support groups.

Sporty Dykes

A group of women in Melbourne, VIC who get together to toss a ball around, take a hike, swim, bike, etc... once per month...always followed by food.

Women's Circus

For many years now the Women’s Circus has been busy changing the world, through the lives of each and every woman involved. Arriving with doubts, fears, shame and anxiety, Women’s Circus women find new ways of breaking through barriers both physical and emotional. Working with culturally and linguistically diverse women, often from a background of sexual assault or ill-heath, the highly skilled training team take women of all ages, shapes and abilities through a program that includes circus skills, physical theatre, performance, music and technical production. The results? Quite simply, breath-taking. There is magic in the circus training space – magic that levels the diversity of experience and empowers women to take back control over their bodies, their spirit, their lives. Week after week women arrive in soft, stretchy clothing to bend, bounce, balance and build confidence, tackling deeply personal issues through quiet, determined work with a group who start as strangers and become a community.

YGLAM Queer Youth Theatre

YGLAM, is a theatre group for same sex attracted and gender questioning young people, in victoria. Ages 15-25 years. Contact sophiak@mchs.org.au for more info. We meet mondays in brunswick during school term, no experience required.

Yellow Kitties

Yellow Kitties is a social/ support group for asian lesbians/bi/questioning/intersex/transgender of all ages which holds monthly meetings and organises other regular social events.

We are based in Brisbane, so unfortunately a bit far away for a meet up. The info provided by Kate looks pretty comprehensive so hopefully you will get to meet some new people through one of those groups.

As for dykes on bikes, yes it is real and you will find groups worldwide, so if you are into bikes then it would be a fab way to get out on day trips with other lesbians.

Hi Orly,

Just do a google search for gay or lesbian guide to Melbourne and loads of pubs, clubs and groups will come up. You have just missed "Pride" or Midsumma as it is called here. I find the scene to be quite provincial compared to London but thats not always a bad thing and people are pretty friendly. There is a gay radio station 94.9 Joy FM. It can be a bit dire at times but they do have lots of info about groups, clubs and what's happening.

Daylesford is very lesbian friendly so for a weekend away in the country, its very pretty. I can honestly say I've never experienced any discrimination in Australia.

cheers

markie

hello everyone,

Im kind of new to the site and I was wondering if there were any gay/lesbian meet ups?

Ive been in Melbourne almost a year and I have recently come out.... and well, am pretty interested in meeting people for hanging out and hopefully expanding my circle of friends.

Cheers all xx

A little reminder of what this post is about - this is a new member, please respond to the post - if you can't asssist in answering the question but want to talk about your sexuality - please start another thread - i'm sure the OP does not want to wade jokes and innuendo before finding the information she needs.

Archived