mid-twenties female seeking fun and meaningful friendships in Sydney!

Hello girls!

I've been in Sydney for a year and have struggled to make some decent friends! Hubby and I have cooked for a lot (a lot!) of people and tried very hard to bring people together to make social situations happen, but most of them seem very slow to develop, or have come to nothing after meeting a few times.. and all quite superficial! Tired of always having to initiate meet ups... Have lots of great caring friends back in the UK but my impressions of Sydneysiders seem to be quite superficial and non-committal!

Also had a tough year after getting RSI badly so have been not working for 6 months (has made settling in Sydney that much harder!) :-(

Tired of all of this after trying for so long, and wanting to seek out any like-minded mid twenty yr olds living in Sydney who have had similar struggles and want to make some decent friendships - less of the superficial ones! Based in inner west so easy to get to city and around if anyone from a similar situation wants to meet up with an easy going, fun, kind and understanding person!

xxx

• 1 month later...

Sorry to hear that you are finding it difficult to settle in and make friends. I just Googled 'Meet ups Inner West' and found a few that sound OK - book clubs, girls who are sick of going to pubs, etc. Why not try that. I have yet to take my own advice and look for some groups of my own.

I used to be lonely myself but I seem to have got over that. I like to go to pubs, cafes, restaurants around Surry Hills and just by smiling and saying hello to staff I've become a bit of a regular. I went out at Easter to a chocolate shop in Rose Bay and bought fifteen little chocolate rabbits to distribute to my favourite barstaff.

Why not try your local community college for some classes that might interest you? Learn to speak Italian (for eating out in Leichhardt!) Take up dancing - Ceroc? Rock n Roll? Ballroom?

Personally, I don't find it any harder to make friends with Aussies than I do with Poms. Some of the most, on the surface banal sounding activities can reap rewards - go to your local club/pub for the meat raffle, buy ten bucks of tickets, talk to the people around you. Start going to quiz nights at your local pub.

I have made two good friends just going to the same beach around the same time each day and speaking to people who also come at the same time.

Archived