Sharks in Coral Bay

blobby1000

Before we head home we intend to go to the fantastic Coral bay. I was there snorkelling many years ago and never felt for a moment like I would be eaten. I thought the outer reef prevented big sharks getting into Bills Bay where I happily spent hours viewing the wonderful scenery.

To my horror I have just read about a Tiger Shark taking quite a significant nibble out of a chap at the Lagoon, Coral Bay.

I really dont want my family to be eaten on our final trip in Australia, it would be very disappointing. I also find the worry of being eaten can really spoil a good day snorkelling!

Has anyone been to Coral Bay recently? Did you worry? Did you get eaten? Did you see any big sharks?

Does anyone know anymore about the guy that got nibbled and whether Coral Bay is a place you can snorkel safely.

Thank you.

Guest AKA63029
Before we head home we intend to go to the fantastic Coral bay. I was there snorkelling many years ago and never felt for a moment like I would be eaten. I thought the outer reef prevented big sharks getting into Bills Bay where I happily spent hours viewing the wonderful scenery.

To my horror I have just read about a Tiger Shark taking quite a significant nibble out of a chap at the Lagoon, Coral Bay.

I really dont want my family to be eaten on our final trip in Australia, it would be very disappointing. I also find the worry of being eaten can raeally spoil a good day snorkelling!

Has anyone been to Coral Bay recently? Did you worry? Did you get eaten? Did you see any big sharks?

Does anyone know anymore about the guy that got nibbled and whether Coral Bay is a place you can snorkell safely.

Thank you.

Hi Blobby.

No matter what you do in 'some' OZ waters you are at a certain 'risk' of shark attack, very minimal, but still there.

I lived and worked up around the Coral Bay area many moons ago, and I guess I saw several dozen sharks, all Tigers, some close to shore others well off shore. There is a cove up that way (can't remember the bloomin name, and not the one where the attack happened) where the Tigers come very close to shore to breed, well away from the actual tourist area though.

Just take precautions mate, swim in clear water, never at dawn or dusk and always buddy up. The chance of attack are very slight, and lets not forget that even though the Tiger is a well known human killer it is EXTREMELY rare for them to attack, more inquisitive in fact, and one of the more docile sharks around at the end of the day.

Take heed of local information and listen to the local inhabitants, be sensible matey and I am sure you will be OK.

PS. The tourist operator who was attacked has minimal wounds and will recover soon enough, it is the FIRST attack for nearly 14 years mate, so that goes to show how rare such attacks are up there.

Cheers Tony.

Hi Blobby.

No matter what you do in 'some' OZ waters you are at a certain 'risk' of shark attack, very minimal, but still there.

I lived and worked up around the Coral Bay area many moons ago, and I guess I saw several dozen sharks, all Tigers, some close to shore others well off shore. There is a cove up that way (can't remember the bloomin name, and not the one where the attack happened) where the Tigers come very close to shore to breed, well away from the actual tourist area though.

Just take precautions mate, swim in clear water, never at dawn or dusk and always buddy up. The chance of attack are very slight, and lets not forget that even though the Tiger is a well known human killer it is EXTREMELY rare for them to attack, more inquisitive in fact, and one of the more docile sharks around at the end of the day.

Take heed of local information and listen to the local inhabitants, be sensible matey and I am sure you will be OK.

PS. The tourist operator who was attacked has minimal wounds and will recover soon enough, it is the FIRST attack for nearly 14 years mate, so that goes to show how rare such attacks are up there.

Cheers Tony.

Just what we needed to hear. Thank you, I appreciate there is never "no risk" in Australian waters, but was always happy with the minimal risk, but every other day there seems to be someone getting eaten. You ever see any bull sharks around there? They are definitely not a shark to mess with.

Incidently, what happened 14 years ago? I never heard about that attack, presumably not a fatal one.

We were there not long ago and it was all relatively quiet, never felt like we were in any danger at any point. And anyway, if you're going to be eaten by a shark I couldn't think of many nicer places for it to happen!

Haha yeah I look forward to admiring the scenery whilst beiing consumed!!

What do you mean "relatively quiet" what does that mean!!! It terms of man eating sharks Im looking for "inaudable!!"

Its a good spot though, eh....where did you stay?

Guest AKA63029
Just what we needed to hear. Thank you, I appreciate there is never "no risk" in Australian waters, but was always happy with the minimal risk, but every other day there seems to be someone getting eaten. You ever see any bull sharks around there? They are definitely not a shark to mess with.

Incidently, what happened 14 years ago? I never heard about that attack, presumably not a fatal one.

Hi Blobby.

No (to date Bull Sharks) as it could be a little to warm for them.

14 years ago again was more of a nibble mate, nothing major.

Though the old Wobbegongs have been known to give a fair nip, or rather suck at times up there, but they are completely harmless as long as you don't tread on the buggers,:laugh:.

As I said Blobby keep your wits about you and all will be well, and once gain the more 'innocuous' creatures are more of a risk, Cone Shells and certain Urchin species are much more of a danger, just avoid picking them up and all well.

Cheers Tony.

Guest AKA63029
And StoneFish...apparently worse than getting shot...

Thanks, you put it in perspective...

What were you doing for work up there?

Stonefish Blobby, like you say worse than being shot, the pain is unbearable apparently.

I worked as a caravan 'attendant', (see loo cleaner,:laugh: and general 'Gopher).

The ONLY reason I took the job was to make most of the fishing up there Blobby.

This was back in the day when there was virtually nothing up there, and was only just being 'discovered' to an extent. Had a fantastic time, time of my life really.

Was up there about five years ago, still nice, but lots of 'boutique' shops, bars and the like, still a nice feel though and wouldn't hesitate to live there if I could get any job, who knows, I may do yet.

Cheers Tony.

I would clean toilets to live there!

Not sure where my kids would go to school though!

I went there 12 years ago. It was perfect. Only one bar and virtually nothing else. I hope it has not been destroyed as we are basically travelling from melbourne purely to go there! Its a bloody long way from anywhere!!!

Archived