Re PENSIONS

macalec

Hi All I am wanting to move back to UK after 47 years in Aus I came out in 1965 but never settled always going back for holidays Now i feel I want to spend my remaining years in my homeland but as i am only a Aus Resident and not Citizen I am worried I wont get a pension ,I know i wont get English Pension Does anyone know how it works ? Would really appreciate some feedback many thanks Marion:sad:

Guest Lizbeth

Hi Marion, I'd be interested in the answer to your query as after 30 years in NSW I'm now contemplating returning to the UK but read somewhere that you need to make 25 years worth of National Insurance contributions before you can draw the UK pension!

Guest Shell15

You need to have made a minimum of 1 year NI contributions in the UK to qualify for a percentage of the full 30 year basic state pension. Is there not somewhere in Oz you can get a pension forcast? They would also be able to give you more information. I have been told that my OH and I can still make payments from Oz to protect our full pension here in the UK..

You can get a pension forecast from the pension service in the UK

It takes a few weeks to come through, but it explains it all well.

Don't forget to tell them how long you've been in Australia and when you moved here etc as you can get some years credit for when the reciprocal social security agreement was in place.

As Col&Shell says you get a proportion depending on your years of contribution.

Hi Lisbeth

I think that maybe correct but i have never become Aussie and I dont know if they have an agreement with UK that i can claim an aussie pension if i return to UK but I was told you have to get Aussie citizenship which i dont want to do but after paying Taxs for 47 years thought i may be entitled but really dont know how i stand I do have some assets here

You become eligble to apply for Australian citizenship after only 4 years with permanent residency, so it's probably a good idea to apply for it, just to make sure you don't lose out on a technicality.

For those wondering about British state pensions - I don'ty know what people are eligble for, but I do know that if you have the spare cash you can back-pay contributions up to six years. May not be enough for some of you, but may help.

Hi All I am wanting to move back to UK after 47 years in Aus I came out in 1965 but never settled always going back for holidays Now i feel I want to spend my remaining years in my homeland but as i am only a Aus Resident and not Citizen I am worried I wont get a pension ,I know i wont get English Pension Does anyone know how it works ? Would really appreciate some feedback many thanks Marion:sad:

Hi Marion

I can understand the desire to return to the UK and the frequent holidays, but make sure you pack the bbq.

I worked as a financial planner in Aus for 10 years, now living in the UK as an IFA. Have a chat with Andy Williams (you'll find him on here) as mentioned below or visit http://www.centrelink.gov.au/internet/internet.nsf/international/pension_how_long.htm for more information. Alternatively you might like to ring Centrelink on 13 2300, but be wary if someone reads from a script or simply make an appointment at your local Centrelink office and take a friend/family member with you. You'll want to be sure of your options from the right people from Centrelink before making firm plans.

Cheers

Archived